by Laura Ingrim
According to Forbes, about 44% of Americans make a new year’s resolution. Common resolutions include losing weight, focusing on fitness, or improving finances. But for 2023, the most common resolution is improving mental health. This resolution is especially important to Gen Z and Millennials.
One great way to satisfy that resolution for improved mental health is to give back to the community. Volunteering has been shown in studies to actually make people happier. (If you wrapped presents at our December Toy Distribution or helped our clients shop, you know this is true!) The social aspect of volunteering can help alleviate stress, anxiety, and depression. Some volunteer activities, like serving at Wilkinson Center’s Food Pantry, can help people stay active and get moderate exercise. Volunteering can help build friendships. And most importantly, volunteering helps improve our shared community.
So if you are looking to make a new year’s resolution that is good for you and easy to keep, we would love to have you volunteer with Wilkinson Center! We have a number of different volunteer opportunities available. And with Wilkinson Center, you don’t have to commit to a regular weekly shift – just come volunteer when you are available!
Check out our volunteer opportunities for 2023:
- Food Pantry: We need volunteers to serve at Wilkinson Center’s Food Pantry (3402 N. Buckner Blvd, Suite 302, Dallas). Individuals or small volunteer groups (up to 12 people) help clients check-in, shop alongside clients, deliver groceries to cars, pack food boxes, and restock Food Pantry shelves. Our Pantry is open on Mondays through Thursdays. Individuals can sign up for a shift at https://bit.ly/ServePantry
- Pantry2Go: Volunteers are needed to unload food boxes and put them in clients’ cars or deliver them to doorsteps. Individuals can sign up for a shift at https://bit.ly/ServePantry. Please make note of the various locations.
- Conversation Corners: Volunteers speak with ESL (English as a Second Language) adult students to improve their English-speaking skills. The group meets on Wednesdays from 11 AM to 12 PM at our Arcadia Park site, 911 N. Morocco Avenue, Dallas. You don’t have to commit to volunteering on a weekly basis; you can just come when you are available. Contact Laura_ingrim@wilkinsoncenter.org for more information or to register.
- Special Events: Volunteers are needed to help with our two annual fundraising events, the Can Do! Luncheon in April and the Spirit of Taos gala in the fall. Contact Laura_ingrim@wilkinsoncenter.org for more information.
- Distribution Events: Each year, Wilkinson Center holds three large drive and distribution events. In July, we hold our annual Back-to-School event, where we help children shop for new school shoes at a local shoe store. In November, we distribute over 400 turkey baskets to families for Thanksgiving. And in December, we distribute toys to over 400 children in a toy distribution. Contact Laura_ingrim@wilkinsoncenter.org for more information.
A new year’s resolution to volunteer is an investment in both yourself and in the community. We hope to see you volunteering with Wilkinson Center soon!