Wilkinson Center’s mission is to transform the lives of Dallas families by providing pathways to self-sufficiency with dignity and respect. In 1982, Reverend Clayton Lewis and the congregation of Munger Place United Methodist Church opened a food and clothing pantry to meet the needs of their East Dallas neighbors who were struggling with poverty and hunger. Today, Wilkinson Center, an independent 501c3 agency, is still in the business of serving our neighbors. Wilkinson Center serves over 8,800 individuals each year at 12 locations across Dallas by providing Food + Adult Education + Jobs.
OPENINGS – APRIL 2019
Adult Education GED Instructor
Prepare adults through instruction for the official GED examination. Average class size is 25 students and hours vary according to locations. Part-time position.
- Teach a class of up to 25 students.
- Co-conduct orientation sessions prior to the start of each class, complete intake and screen clients for appropriateness of class.
- Prepare lesson plans to cover all subject areas and to meet standards set by the agency.
- Observe and evaluate students’ work to determine progress and make suggestions for improvement.
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students.
- Meet or exceed program outcomes as set by the agency
- Promote GED in the community.
- Work with the Case Manager to ensure all student needs are met.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Track attendance and submit attendance records and statistics information to Adult Education Manager on a monthly basis.
- Data-enter all student information into database after student has met 12 hours.
- Utilize volunteers, partners and other community resources.
Qualifications / Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related subject area. Certified Teachers a plus
- One year experience teaching adults in a classroom setting
- Must be able to use various teaching techniques to engage students and prepare them for next steps
- Possesses basic computer skills.
- Able to work collaboratively with a team.
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills and team mind-set
- Able to organize, plan and prioritize work assignments as they relate to program needs
- Able to remain flexible when adjusting daily work schedule to complete high priority tasks
- Able to use various teaching techniques to engage the students and prepare them for next steps.
*This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and professional references to Maria Powers, at mailto:email@example.com
Each staff member at Wilkinson Center contributes to an inclusive work environment. We value differences in people and promote practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural sensitivity. The clients we serve and our team represent many different backgrounds.